Frequently asked questions
WHY ARE BROWNFIELDS IMPORTANT?
Redevelopment of these sites reduces sprawl, reduces public health threats, and encourages investment in sites that are close to existing infrastructure and public services.
WHY DO I NEED A BROWNFIELD PLAN?
The Plan highlights the required information to process and approve a Brownfield Redevelopment site by demonstrating:
- Site eligibility
- Documents the plan for reimbursement of eligible expenditures
- Estimates costs of eligible activities, amount of tax increment, and the timeframe that expenses will be reimbursed
WHAT KIND OF SITES CAN QUALIFY FOR A BROWNFIELD?
- Contaminated (Facility)
- Functionally obsolete
WHAT ACTIVITIES ARE ELIGIBLE FOR REPAYMENT?
- Baseline Environmental Assessments
- Due care activities
- Additional response activities
- Lead and Asbestos abatement
- Site preparation
- Infrastructure improvements
- Administrative and operating authority expenses
- Local site remediation revolving fund
HOW DOES TAX INCREMENT FINANCING (TIF) WORK?
TIF is a tool that allows local governments to continue receiving existing property tax value, while the increased tax revenue resulting from the redevelopment is captured and used to reimburse the developer to help offset costs.