Block Party Request

Instructions for Requesting a Block Party / Barricading of City Streets

Please fill out the attached form (PDF) in its entirety at least eight weeks prior to the planned event and hand deliver it to the City Clerk's Office, or mail it to:
Livonia City Council, c/o City Clerk
City of Livonia
33000 Civic Center Drive
Livonia, MI 48154

The neighborhood representative will be notified by mail of the meeting at which the request will be presented to the City Council. He/she must plan to attend that meeting so that any questions Councilmembers may have regarding the event can be answered at that time.

Police Permit

Upon approval of the Block Party by the Council, a permit must be obtained from the Police Department Traffic Bureau, which is located in the Police Headquarters Building in the Civic Center, 15050 Farmington Road, near Five Mile Road. Their hours are from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m, Monday through Friday. You will need a Council Resolution Number in order to obtain this permit. If time permits, you can wait to receive a letter from the City Clerk advising you of this number. If time is short, you may call the City Clerk's Office at (734) 466-2230 a day or two after the Regular Meeting to obtain the Council Resolution Number.

Sign Shop

Once you have obtained the permit from the Traffic Bureau, please contact the Department of Public Service (DPS) at (734) 466-2655 to arrange a pickup time for the barricades. Be sure to have your permit with you when you go to the DPS building at 12973 Farmington Road, one block south of Schoolcraft Road. From there you will be directed to the Sign Shop, which is where you must pick up the barricades. The Sign Shop is open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will be required to sign a form indicating how many barricades you are taking out.

If the Block Party is to be held during daylight hours, you will be assigned unlighted barricades. If any part of the Block Party will continue into hours after dark, you will be given lighted barricades. However, once you have obtained the Police permit, it is a good idea to go to the Department of Public Service to reserve your barricades, since at certain times of the year there is quite a demand for them and it is strictly on a first-come, first-served basis. The barricades must be returned to the Sign Shop the next business day following the Block Party. There is a $50 charge if any barricades are damaged, destroyed or lost.


It should be understood that permission to block off a street for a party does not permit the placing of picnic tables, grills, etc. in the street. Also, no parking is permitted in the blocked-off areas. Provision must be made for emergency vehicles to enter the blocked-off areas should the need arise.