Open Burn Information
Department of Public Safety
Livonia Fire & Rescue
Shadd A. Whitehead
Dennis K. Wright
14910 Farmington Road
Livonia, Michigan 48154-5419
Homeowners may conduct open burning with the following stipulations:
Burn Types Allowed:
- Bon Fire – An outdoor fire for ceremonial purposes.
- Recreational Fire – An outdoor fire utilized to cook food for human consumption.
- Open burning must adhere to the following:
- Be no closer than 50 feet from any structure or 15 feet if in an approved container.
- Be constantly attended until fire is extinguished.
- Not be utilized for waste disposal purposes.
- Use fuel consisting of only seasoned dry firewood.
- Be accompanied with water for extinguishing purposes in portable fire extinguishers, buckets, barrels or garden hoses.
- Be protected from spreading fire to foliage, ground cover, landscaping materials and trees.
- Size of fire can be no larger than 3 feet wide by 3 feet high.
- The fire must cease and be extinguished, if any type of complaint is lodged to the Livonia Police and/or Fire Department about the open burning.