Yard Waste Collection
Options for Disposal
Options for disposal of residential yard waste include:
- The Weekly Separated Yard Waste program runs on your trash pick up day from the last Monday of March through the second Friday of December. 2018 yard waste collection services, in cans and paper compost bags, will end on your regular trash collection day the week of December 8.
- The Large Branch and Brush program runs in the spring then on by request only basis in the summer months through the end of September.
- The Wood Waste drop off site operates year-round for your use.
Weekly Separated Yard Waste Pickup
Yard waste should be placed at the curbside by 7 a.m. and placed out separate from trash containers and the recycle bin. The following cannot be disposed of with the weekly collection service:
- Other Debris
Proper Containers to ensure that your yard waste is picked up, please note the following:
- Yard waste must be placed in separate containers free of any rubbish or recyclables.
- Use plastic or metal trash cans (maximum 35-gallon size).
- Cans must be marked with a green and white yard waste sticker. Stickers are available by calling Public Service at (734) 466-2655. In lieu of a sticker, you can mark your can with a large X, which will identify it as yard waste.
- Paper compost bags may be used without a yard waste sticker or mark. These bags are available from local stores.
- The maximum weight is 50 pounds per container or compost bag.
- A maximum amount of eight containers per week is allowed.
- Plastic bags are prohibited.
Smaller Brush & Branches
Smaller brush and branches may cut up and placed in the above containers or may be bundled. Bundled branches must four feet or less in length and four inches or less in diameter and tied up in bundles weighing less than 50 pounds. Up to five bundles, a week can be placed out for pick up.
For questions about the weekly yard waste pickup, contact Sanitation at 734-466-2588.
Large Brush & Branch Pickup Program
For larger branches over four feet in length, the city offers a seasonal curbside chipper truck service. Please see the document on Brush and Branch Collection for details.
Wood Waste Drop Off-Site
A wood waste recycling facility is available for free disposal of wood waste. This service is free for Livonia residents. The following can be dropped off at Mid-Michigan Recycling:
- Industrial Wood
- Stumps, etc.