Recycling in Livonia
Livonia residents have two options for recycling by using either the Curbside Recycling Program or the drop-off Recycle Center. For refuse or yard waste collection, please see the Refuse Information or Brush Pickup pages.
Curbside Recycling Program
For curbside recycling, place items curbside in the recycling bin separated from your refuse on your scheduled collection day. If you need a recycling bin replacement or a second bin, you may pick one up from Sanitation located in the City Hall Annex or the Department of Public Works Yard located at 12973 Farmington Road, south of I-96. Items collected include:
- Plastic Bottles & Containers marked on the bottom with the recycle symbol 1 through 7. No styrofoam. No motor oil or antifreeze containers.
- Clear, Green and Brown Glass Bottles and Jars. No window glass, ceramics, dishes, drinking glasses, or light bulbs.
- Tin, Aluminum and Empty Aerosol Cans. Only empty aerosol cans.
- Small Scrap Metal Items. Pot, pans and license plates are acceptable. No clothing hangers.
- Office, Computer and Loose-Leaf Paper (any color).
- Manila Folders
- Junk Mail (including envelopes with windows).
- Glossy Magazines/Catalogs
- Newspapers and inserts.
- Telephone Books
- Paperback Books (or donate to the Library for the book sale).
- Brown paper grocery bags
- Boxboard/Paperboard such as cereal and shoe boxes, etc.
- Corrugated Cardboard and boxes must be cut down to 2’ x 2' and bundled.
- Clean Pizza Boxes
- Clean Garden Plastics
- Flatten Cardboard Boxes
- Empty & Rinse Containers
- Leave Caps on Plastic Bottles
- OK to leave staples, clips, labels, stamps, spiral bindings and metal fasteners on paper materials
- Plastic Bags
- Foam Containers (Styrofoam)
- Wire Hangers
- Window Panes, Mirrors, Ceramics or Dishware
- Organic Material & Food Waste
- Electronic Waste (Batteries are accepted at the Drop-Off Center. E-Waste can be brought to Household Hazard Waste Drop-off events)
- Paint, Pesticides, Oil, Antifreeze, etc. (Oil and Antifreeze are accepted at the Drop Center)
- Waxed Cardboard
- Needles or Syringes
- Hazardous Waste
Drop-Off Recycling Center
The drop-off Recycling Center is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The Center is located on the south side of Glendale Ave approximately 1/2 mile east off of Farmington Rd between Schoolcraft and Plymouth roads.
In addition to the items listed above for Curbside recycling, the Drop-Off Center accepts:
- Larger pieces of Corrugated Cardboard
- Vehicle and household batteries
- Oil and antifreeze
- Larger scrap metal such as frames, folding chairs, etc.
Tips to Reduce Waste
- Learn to recognize "avoidables" - anything you cannot recycle or reuse, for example disposable razors, paper plates and napkins.
- Purchase items packaged in recyclable material and avoid items packaged in non-recyclable packaging like styrofoam.
- Avoid over-packaging. $1 for every $10 spent at the grocery store is spent on packaging. Buying items in bulk saves money, saves trips to the store, and greatly reduces packaging.
- Switch to a reusable grocery bag or choose paper grocery bags instead of plastic.
- Reuse plastic containers that are not recyclable such as plastic tubs.
- Reuse the bags for your next shopping trip.
- Donate or sell reusable garments, repairable appliances, and furniture to organizations.
- Save your egg cartons. In the Spring reuse them to plant seedlings. Small farms with chickens often appreciate egg carton donations.
- Save reusable bows and boxes from the holidays or birthday and reuse.
Wood Recycling Center
The Mid-Michigan Recycling Center accepts wood for disposal that is not handled by curbside or brush and branch services. Click here for more information.